Join our campaign for community-led housing Register Your Interest here
What is Community-Led Housing?
Community-Led Housing is development where ‘Meaningful community engagement and consent occurs throughout the development process. Communities take a long-term formal role in the ownership, stewardship, or management of their homes. The benefits of the scheme to the local area and/or specified community group are clearly defined and legally protected in perpetuity. (Greater London Authority 2020)
People who live in social housing are a vital but undervalued sector of our city and there needs to be greater awareness of the labour and social and cultural capital they provide. The design of the home is the building block and is not the end but the beginning – from which we aim to design and deliver wider community facilities people that live in social housing. Homes need to be included in the design and delivery of these communities from the outset. Diversity is meaningless without meaningful and long term practices of inclusion. Housing design and delivery is an opportunity to provide meaningful and ongoing education and training to communities.
CCM acknowledge and plans for climate change. Our aim is to Include the communities being impacted by development in the discussion from the outset.
We work with and for people in housing need – this includes those who are unable to establish their own home because of high market rents and property prices.
Building homes, art, education, health and other community facilities that
- Acknowledge the multiple roles participants can play in the process. Including a Gentrification Policy to mitigate against the use by developers of artists as temporary pop- ups to increase value of private homes for sale.
- Are environmentally sustainable and climate change ready (including heat pumps and passive housing).
- Acknowledge Camden’s Social Housing Heritage which is Low rise and High density, modular, and theorises the relationship between the public and private realm and contains a strong idea of community.
- Offer flexibility within homes to adjust to changes and between homes to allow for people to stay in the same homes during their lifetimes as they have children, children grow up, and they retire.
- Offer flexibility and innovative solutions to managing the live/work relationship
- Supporting peer to peer networks and platforms
- Tenant representation in Housing Management
- Coherent policies and procedures that are regularly updated in order to maintain transparency of process and accountability.
- EDI, Equalities Act, Care Act, Climate Change, Social Value Act compliant.
- Registered Social Landlords.